Welcome to Session 1 of the Advent Bible study! Over the next five weeks, we’ll grow our understanding of the anticipation and waiting the Old Testament world endured, the joy and new life signaled by the coming of Christ, and the way Advent points to the glory of God still to come. We can’t wait for all that these next few weeks have in store for us!
Please read the following instructions carefully; we’ve tried to anticipate your questions!
Here’s how this will work:
- Each Friday, we’ll post a video here on the blog, and we’ll have questions for you to answer in your group or in the comments section of the post. We hope these interactions will be both challenging and encouraging!
- We’ll also have a fun printable or activity for you each week along with a phone wallpaper of that week’s key verse. 🙂
- At the end of the post, we will let you know the personal study assignment to do for the next week in your Advent Bible study book. That’s it!
A note about the Bible study videos: We are excited to offer bonus video content for the Advent Bible study for a limited time. We will leave all the videos up until January 15, 2020, allowing some breathing room for those who join in late or miss a couple of weeks.
Have more questions? Check out our Online Bible Study FAQs.
Now that we’re all on the same page, let’s jump in to Session 1!
- What’s your name, where are you studying from, and what drew you to study Advent with us?
- Are you familiar with Advent? Did you celebrate Advent growing up and/or now? If so, how?
- During Advent we remember how God’s people waited for the promise of the coming Messiah. When have you experienced a long season of waiting? What emotions did you feel during that time?
- Is there one thought or sentence that stuck out to you in this week’s video? What stood out and why?
As promised, here’s a fun printable for you to use this week as you anticipate Christmas with your family and friends! If you’ve flipped through your Advent Bible study book, you noticed each week includes activities for adults, teens, and kids. This week, we’re providing a printable of the hymn “Joy to the World,” which we’ve used to make a paper chain on page 36-37 of the Advent Bible study book. We hope you enjoy!
And, here’s a fun wallpaper of this week’s key verse: Isaiah 9:2. We hope it serves as a reminder of our certain hope in Christ.
Before next week, complete Week 1: Hope (pages 13-31) in your Bible study book. We’ll see you next time!